There’s nothing like starting your day with a hearty, balanced meal ensuring your nutrition intake is adequate from the get-go. Below we have created an easy, nutritious recipe that’s calcium-rich thanks to more than 10 essential nutrients found in the dairy components of this recipe.
Dairy? Yes, dairy! For too long – dairy has been miss-labeled throughout media as a food that should be avoided for optimum health. In our view? All dairy products are an integral part of an everyday balanced diet, and no food group should be cut out unless advised so by your health practitioner.
3 reasons why we love dairy
- Cultured dairy foods like yoghurt contain probiotics, which provide a wide range of health benefits. Probiotics in the diet can enhance gut health and reduce the risk of certain diseases.
- Dairy provides a rich source of protein and calcium contributing to strong bone health.
- Consuming dairy is linked with fertility and can increase your chances of falling pregnant.
To read more on the benefits of dairy and Australia’s sustainable and conscious farming techniques… click here.
Savoury Cheese Breakfast Muffins.
- 1½ cups gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1½ cup baby spinach, chopped
- 3 spring onions, diced
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes, drained and moisture pressed out of them
- 4 rashers of bacon, diced, cooked
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 cup green or red capsicum, diced
- 1½ cup milk
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup tasty cheese, grated
- 1 free range egg
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius
Prepare a muffin tin by spraying with non-stick oil, or baking paper.
In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients for bowl 1. Stir until well combined.
Separately, whisk together all the ingredients in bowl 2.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together until all the ingredients are well blended.
Transfer the batter into the muffin tins, top with seeds for decoration.
Bake in the oven for 50 – 60 minutes.