As the cooler months approach it is time to put aside the smoothie bowls and begin eating more warming meals. Oats are a classic winter breakfast and provide a whole lot of nourishment. They contain nutrients like complex carbohydrates, protein and fibre to help promote a healthy digestive system. This is so important in the cooler months as a healthy gut means a healthy immune system. Another nutrient that oats are high in – is an amino acid called Glutamine. Glutamine promotes a healthy acid: alkaline balance in the digestive tract heals the gut lining AND is the precursor to GABA, a calming neurotransmitter.
To ensure you are getting a complete protein, adding nuts or (in this case) seeds means that you are eating all of the essential amino acids required for good health. Whether you follow this recipe step by step or you get creative and add your own delicious toppings, porridge is a fantastic breakfast choice this winter.
To check out more healthy breakfast options. Click here.
Cook time: 10 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
1 cup organic rolled oats
3 cups water
1/2 cup coconut yoghurt
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 cup strawberries, roughly chopped
2 fresh figs, roughly chopped
maple syrup or coconut sugar, optional
1. Add water and oats to a saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and add vanilla essence, 1/2 of the strawberries and 1/2 of the figs.
3. Continue to simmer until oats have completely absorbed water and porridge is thick in consistency.
4. Stir in coconut yoghurt and chia seeds.
5. Divide oats across 2 bowls and top with remaining strawberries and figs. Add maple syrup or coconut sugar if desired.